Your resource for fungi information
Amanita rubescens   (Blushing Amanita)
North America, Europe
Cap 6-15 cm diameter, stem 6-15 cm tall * 1-2.5 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Amanita rubescens, also know as Blushing Amanita, is a large, rosy-brown, fleshy agaric that has cap patches, white gills, a bulbous base, and a ring on the stem. A significant characteristic is that it blushes when bruised or cut, and is since also called the blusher. It grows solitary or scattered on soil in woods generally.

Cap pinkish-brown with grey to pink patches on the surface. At first, it is sub-spherical, becoming convex and finally flattened. The flesh is moderately firm and white, becoming brownish pink were cut or damaged. Gills crowded, soft, white to off-white, free from the stem, with pink tinges appearing on damaged areas. Spores are white. Stem downy, grey, white, or pink, bears a prominent pendent ring with furrows on its upper surface. The base is swollen and girdled.

Amanita rubescens on the First Nature Web site.
Amanita rubescens on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.