MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Armillaria mellea   (Honey Mushroom)
Family
Physalacriaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 3-15 cm diameter, stem 6-15 cm tall * 0.5-1.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Armillaria mellea, also known as Honey Mushroom, is a medium-sized agaric that has a convex, flattened, or wavy, olive-tinged, pale yellow-brown cap with a darker center and sparse pale scales. It grows, midsummer to late fall, densely clustered or in groups, around bases of living or dead trees or stumps of either coniferous or hardwood trees.

Cap convex at first but becoming flattened, often with a central raised umbo, later becoming somewhat dish-shaped. The margins are often arched at maturity and the surface is sticky when wet. Though typically ochraceous, this fungus is rather variable in appearance and sometimes has a few dark, hairy scales near the centre somewhat radially arranged. The flesh is white, thin and firm. Gills at first white, sometimes becoming pinkish-yellow or discoloured with age, broad and fairly distant, attached to the stipe at right angles or are slightly decurrent, crowded. The spore print is white. Stem at first whitish, becoming yellowish or reddish-brown, more or less equal or tapering towards the base, finely wholly. The ring is yellowish, cottony or woolly, superior and fairly persistent.

Armillaria mellea on the First Nature Web site.
Armillaria mellea on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.