Boletus pinophilus (Pinewood King Bolete)
Family
Boletaceae
Location
Europe, (North America) and southwestern Asia
Dimensions
Cap 6–15(20) cm; stem 5-15 cm tall * 4-7 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Description
Boletus pinophilus, also known as Pine bolete or Pinewood King Bolete, is a large bolete with a dark brown cap, cream pores, reddish-brown netted, and a bulbous stem. It grows solitary or scattered on soil, particularly with Scots pine in Britain. The mushroom prefers the poor, acidic, and sandy soils associated with coniferous forests.

Cap deep red-brown or copper coloured. Stays convex for a while, but eventually flattens out. Often irregular in shape when mature. The surface is hard, dimpled and rough and sticky when damp. The flesh is white, tinged cap colour beneath the cuticle, unchanging, thick, fairly firm. Pores white then cream-coloured, becoming olivaceous-brown with age, circular and small. Stem thick and egg or pear-shaped when young. The network pattern is dark brown at the bottom and gets lighter towards the cap. Flesh white, unchanging and fairly firm. The stem has no ring. Spore print olive brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores are fusiform, smooth, and have dimensions of 13-18 x 4-5.5┬Ám, which is notably narrower compared to those of Boletus edulis.

Similar species include Boletus edulis that has brown cap colour and Tylopilus felleus which is similar when young but tastes bitter.

Boletus pinophilus on the First Nature website.
Boletus pinophilus on Wikipedia.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we strongly advise against consuming wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.