MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Calocybe gambosa   (St George's Mushroom)
Family
Tricholomataceae
Location
Europe
Dimensions
Cap 5-15 cm diameter; stem 3-7 cm tall x 2-3 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Calocybe gambosa, commonly known as St. George's mushroom is a medium to large, fleshy, cream-coloured mushroom. It grows mainly in fields, grass verges and roadsides, but also less frequently appears in mixed woods.

Cap white-creamy coloured to bright yellow, often with a brownish tinge. At first sub-spherical, becoming expanded and irregularly convex with an incurved margin. Gills sinuate, white and very crowded. The flesh is thick and soft and has a mealy or cucumber smell. Stem whitish, smooth, bulky at the base. There is no stem ring. Spore print white to pinkish white.

Microscopic Features: The spores are ellipsoidal and smooth, measuring 5-6 x 3-4┬Ám.

Calocybe gambosa on the www.first-nature.com web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.