MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Cantharellus cibarius   (Common Chantarelle)
Family
Cantharellaceae
Location
Europe, (North America), Bhutan and China
Dimensions
Cap 3-10 cm across, stem 2-10 cm tall * 0.4-1.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
This mushroom is typically orange or yellow, meaty and funnel-shaped. On the lower surface, underneath the smooth cap, it has gill-like ridges that run almost all the way down its stem, which tapers down seamlessly from the cap. The mushroom occurs in mixed woodland, notably under birch trees and often beside paths.

Cap light yellow, bright yellow to orange in colour, fading with age. As young formed as a button and then turns more cone-shaped. The margin stays folded in for a long time and then often becomes wavy and uneven at maturity. The mushroom has gill-like veins under the cap, not gills. Flesh firm, thick, yellow. Stem solid, tapers downward from cap. The surface is smooth and the colour is similar to the cap or a lighter yellow to almost white. Spore print pale yellow to creamy white, sometimes with a slight pinkish tinge.

Microscopic Features: The spores are ellipsoidal and smooth, measuring 7-11 x 4-6┬Ám. They are inamyloid (not staining with iodine) and appear hyaline (translucent and glass-like) in KOH (potassium hydroxide).

Similar species: Species that can be mistaken for Cantharellus cibarius include Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca, Omphalotus olearius and Omphalotus illudens.

Note: The present understanding regarding the number of Cantharellus species in North America that share the characteristics of the Common Chantarelle is uncertain. In the past, they were all grouped under "Cantharellus cibarius," but recent studies have revealed that Cantharellus cibarius is exclusive to Europe.

Cantharellus cibarius on the First Nature Web site.
Cantharellus cibarius on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.