MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Chroogomphus britannicus   (British Goblet)
Family
Gomphidiaceae
Location
Europe
Dimensions
cap 2-5 cm dia; stem 5-10 cm tall * 0.4-0.6 cm dia.
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Chroogomphus britannicus is a small mushroom species characterized by its copper-brown to reddish-brown cap and deeply decurrent gills. It forms mycorrhizal associations with coniferous trees, particularly pines, and is found in forested areas.

Cap reddish-brown or brick-coloured with a vinaceous tinge, and it is convex or bun-shaped. It becomes heavily viscid when damp but turns shiny when dry. The flesh is vinaceous, moderate and firm. Gills deeply decurrent, pale vinaceous-cinnamon or pale rose-cinnamon, then turning brown, somewhat spaced, often forked. Stem narrowing towards the base, firm, solid, same colour as or paler than the cap, arising from a yellow mycelium. Veil cobweb-like, yellow-orange or reddish-orange, with small scales. Spore print very dark smoky-olive to black.

Microscopic Features: Spores 16.5-23 x 6.5-8 ┬Ám, elongated-ellipsoid or somewhat spindle-shaped, nearly translucent, dextrinoid.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.