Your resource for fungi information
Clitopilus prunulus   (The Miller)
North America, Europe
5-12 cm diameter * 1.5-4 cm tall
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Clitopilus prunulus also known as The Miller is a medium-sized mushroom with a pale grey-white cap and decurrent, pale pink gills, combined with a strong smell of fresh bread dough. It is a saprotrophic fungus, meaning it obtains its nutrients by decomposing organic matter. It is commonly found in deciduous forests, especially among hardwood trees like oaks, beeches, and birches. It prefers damp and shaded environments with abundant organic matter on the forest floor.

Cap white or light grey or yellow, convex to funnel-shaped that may have an inrolled margin, sticky when moist. Gills deeply decurrent, spaced together rather closely, and whitish, although they often develop a pinkish hue in age. Stem is central or off-centre and is similar in colour to the cap. The stem has no stem ring. Spore print brownish pink.

Microscopic Features: Spores are ellipsoidal, oblong, or amygdaloid in shape, measuring 9-12μm in length and 4-6μm in width. They are ornamented with 6 to 8 longitudinal ridges.

Clitopilus prunulus on the First Nature Web site.
Clitopilus prunulus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.