This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Coprinellus xanthothrix is a rather uncommon wood-rotting inkcap characterized by its small size, delicate structure, and unique colouration. The gills are initially white but turn grey and eventually black as the mushroom matures and undergoes the process of autodigestion, where the gills liquefy and release spores. The fruiting bodies grow at night after rain and will self-decompose after spore dispersion is achieved.
starts as egg-shaped and becomes bell-shaped with deep furrows at the edge. The surface has few pale mica-like scales, mostly near the centre. The colour changes from pale buff to greyer as it matures. Gills
adnate, white at first, turning grey and then blackening. Stem
white, hollow and slightly swollen near the base. There is no ring.
Synonyms of Coprinellus xanthothrix include Coprinus xanthothrix.
Spores are smooth, with an ellipsoidal to ovoid shape, measuring 7.5-10 x 5-6µm. They possess a germ pore.
on the First Nature Web site.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.
Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.