MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Coprinopsis variegata   (Scaly Ink Cap)
Family
Psathyrellaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 4-6 cm diameter, stem 8-15 cm tall * 0.8-1.2 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Coprinopsis variegata, also known as Scaly Ink Cap, is a medium-sized agaric with a bell-shaped to flattened cap up to 7.5 cm in diameter, with felt-like, patchy scales. The gills, initially white, turn black in maturity and eventually dissolve into a black "ink". The mushroom grows in clusters or groups on leaf litter or rotted hardwood, although the wood may be buried, giving the appearance of growing in the soil.

Cap thin, grey to greyish-brown, initially oval-shaped then bell-shaped, and then flattened with the margin turned upward. When young, the surface of the cap is covered with a woolly whitish or yellowish veil that breaks up into short-lived flakes or scales. Gills broad, thin, crowded closely together and free from attachment to the stem. They are initially white but turn to dark purplish-brown as the spores mature. Spores dark purplish-brown. Stem thick, hollow, and whitish. It is roughly the same width throughout the length of the stem and may have a wispy, cotton-like ring present near the base.

Coprinopsis variegata on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.