MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Coprinus comatus   (Shaggy-mane Inky Cap)
Family
Coprinaceae
Location
North America, Europe, South America
Dimensions
Cap 5-15 cm tall * variable diameter, stem 10-30 cm tall * 1.5-2.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Coprinus comatus, also known as shaggy-mane ink cap is a common fungus that has a white, conical, shaggy cap which blackens and dissolves itself in black, ink-like liquid at maturity. It grows solitary, scattered or in small clusters on soil in short grass.

Cap almost cylindrical and initially covers most of its stem, becomes later conical. It is mostly white with shaggy scales, which are more pale brown at the apex. The flesh is white and fragile and the taste is mild. Gills free from the stem, very crowded, white, becoming pinkish, then black. Finally turning to black "ink". Stem white, hollow, smooth, often very tall, slightly swollen at the base and sometimes rooting. It has a loose ring that is white, thin and often slipping down the stem towards the base. Spore print black.

Microscopic Features: The spores have an ellipsoidal shape and are smooth in texture. They measure 9-13 x 7-9.5┬Ám and have a germ pore positioned centrally or slightly eccentrically.

Coprinus comatus on the First Nature Web site.
Coprinus comatus on the mykoweb.com web site.
Coprinus comatus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.