MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Cortinarius semisanguineus   (Poison Dye Cort)
Family
Cortinariaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 2-6 cm diameter, stem 2-10 cm tall * 0.4-1 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Cortinarius semisanguineus, also known as Poison Dye Cort, is a medium-sized mushroom with an olive brown to ochre cap, bright blood-red gills and a yellowish stem. It grows typically with conifers and birch.

Cap starts off more or less convex and later becomes broadly convex, flat, or broadly bell-shaped, sometimes featuring a sharp central bump. It has a dry and silky texture, ranging in colour from olive brown to dark reddish brown or ochre, often darker over the centre. Gills attached to the stem but may detach with age. They are fairly crowded, initially blood red and turn cinnamon to rusty over time. In young specimens, they are covered by a yellowish cortina. Stem usually the same colour as the cap or paler, smooth, or finely fibrillose like the cap with threadlike remnants of the veil. Stem flesh darker red-brown than cap flesh. The stem has no ring. Spore print rusty brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores are ellipsoidal, with a rough surface, measuring 6-8 x 4-5┬Ám. They are inamyloid.

Cortinarius semisanguineus on the First Nature Web site.
Cortinarius semisanguineus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.