Your resource for fungi information
Hortiboletus rubellus   (Ruby Bolete)
Europe, Eastern United States
Cap 6 cm; stem 7,5 cm tall * 1-3 cm diameter
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Hortiboletus rubellus, also known as Xerocomellus rubellus or Ruby Bolete, is a relatively small bolete with a scarlet to raspberry red cap, reddish stem, and yellow pores. It is commonly found in oak-dominated habitats.

Cap convex, becoming broadly convex or nearly flat in age, scarlet to raspberry red when young, with a dry velvety texture. The extreme margin often has a pale yellow or white band around it, and it discolours darker, and dirtier with age. Pores small, pale yellow, become greenish with age and bruise slowly. Stem slender and long, cylindrical, bright yellow at the apex, and progressively more red towards the base. Spore print olive-brown.

Similar species include Hortiboletus Simonini.

Microscopic Features: The spores are subfusiform to subellipsoidal in shape and have a smooth surface. They measure approximately 11.5-12.5 x 5-5.5┬Ám.

Hortiboletus rubellus on the web site.
Xerocomellus rubellus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.