MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Hygrophorus hypothejus   (Late Fall Wax Cap)
Family
Hygrophoraceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 3-7 cm diameter, stem 4-7 cm tall * 0.7-1.4 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Hygrophorus hypothejus, also known as Late Fall Wax Cap, is a smallish, slimy agaric that has a dull brown cap and distinctive yellowish gills and stem. It grows scattered or in groups on soil under conifers, common under 2-needle pines from late autumn to winter.

Cap first convex and then flat. Dull olive-brown coloured and center are darker and often concave. The margins stay rolled in for some time. It is covered with a thick, glassy layer of slime, disappearing with age. It becomes very sticky in damp weather. Gills goes down the stem and are sparse and elastic. At first mild vanilla to butter yellow coloured, and turns orange as mature. Spores are white. Stem is pallid yellow, sometimes tinged with orange, tall and usually thin, more or less equal or tapering slightly downwards. The mushroom has no ring, but it has a superior ring-like swelling. It is sticky below that zone.

Hygrophorus hypothejus on the www.first-nature.com web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.