Kuehneromyces lignicola (Conifer Woodtuft)
Europe, North America,
Cap 1-3.5 cm diameter, stem 2.5-5 cm tall * 0.2-0.35 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Kuehneromyces lignicola, also known as Conifer Woodtuft, is a small to medium-sized agaric that has an umbonate tan-brown to cream-coloured hygrophanous hat, which dries from the centre, often producing a two-tone effect. It grows gregarious to clustered on conifer logs, occasionally in sawdust piles. The mushroom is fruiting in late spring.

Cap initially convex but becomes broadly convex or nearly flat over time, with margins that are striated. It is hygrophanous which means it is changing colour as it dries out. It starts as tan-brown at the centre, fading to buff-brown, and in older specimens, it turns cream to white. Gills adnexed or adnate, crowded, initially dingy pale-tan, and in aging specimens, they become dull medium-brown. Stem equal to narrowed at the apex, oval in cross-section, sometimes longitudinally grooved, hollow in age, often with a basal bend. The surface of apex is pruinose, pale tan, lower portion glabrous to sparsely fibrillose and dingy vinaceous-brown. The partial veil is fibrillose-membranous, pallid, and evanescent, leaving fragments on the young cap and a thin fibrillose zone high on the stipe. Spore print medium-brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores measure approximately 5.5-7.0 µm in length and 3.5-4.0 µm in width. They have an elliptical shape, a smooth surface, and a moderately thick wall. The apical end is flattened and features a well-defined germ pore, while the hilar appendage is not distinct.

Similar species include Galerina marginata (Deadly Galerina).

Kuehneromyces lignicola on the mykoweb.com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we strongly advise against consuming wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.