MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Kuehneromyces mutabilis   (Sheathed Woodtuft)
Family
Strophariaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 3-6 cm diameter, stem 3-8 cm tall * 0.5-1 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Kuehneromyces mutabilis, also known as Sheathed Woodtuft, is a medium-sized agaric that has an umbonate honey-brown to yellow hat, which dries from the centre, often producing a two-tone effect. It also has gills that are pale ochre at first and become cinnamon as the spores mature and a ring on the stem. It grows clustered on stumps and logs of broad-leaf trees, favouring birch. The mushroom can easily be confused with Galerina marginata (Deadly Galerina).

Cap convex, becoming broadly convex or nearly flat, and hygrophanous which means it is changing colour as it dries out and fading from tawny to orangish brown to yellowish or brownish (often passing through a two-toned stage). The cap flesh is pale tan, quite thin and unchanging when sliced. Gills adnate (broadly attached to the stem) and crowded, whitish to pale tan when young, becoming cinnamon brown as the spores mature. Stem pale and smooth above the fairly persistent stem ring, fibrous, scaly and dark tan below, graduating to almost black at the base. Spore print cinnamon brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores of the mushroom are broadly ellipsoidal, and smooth, measuring approximately 5.5-7.5 x 4-5┬Ám. They possess an apical germ pore.

Similar species include Galerina marginata (Deadly Galerina).

Kuehneromyces mutabilis on the First Nature Web site.
Kuehneromyces mutabilis on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.