MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Lactarius deliciosus   (Saffron Milkcap)
Family
Russulaceae
Location
Europe and North America
Dimensions
Cap 3-10 cm diameter, stem 3-6 cm tall * 1.5 - 2 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Lactarius deliciosus, also known as Saffron Milkcap, is an attractive, fairly large, buff agaric with distinctive salmon-pink blotches, and pale carrot-coloured gills. The mushroom exudes carroty milk, which is a significant characteristic of this mushroom. It grows solitary or in scattered groups on soil under conifers, favouring pine trees.

Cap first round and bumpy, then convex and as mature flat with a depressed centre. The margin stays rolled in until maturity. It has concentrically zoned thin rings in orange and a somewhat wider zone in salmon go grey pink. Often with carrot-coloured patches. Sticky and slippery when wet. Gills at first apricot or saffron, becoming carrot, dull green on bruising, dense and sub-decurrent before abruptly ending. Stem similarly coloured as the cap, thick and hard but also fragile, more or less equal, and patterned with different-sized shallow holes in a darker shade. Spore print pale pinkish buff.

Microscopic Features: The spores are ellipsoidal, measuring 7-9 x 6-7 ┬Ám, and they have a well-defined and almost complete network of ridges.

Lactarius deliciosus on the First Nature Web site.
Lactarius "deliciosus" group on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.