At least in Europe
Cap 2.5-5.5 cm diameter; stem 3-7 cm tall x 0.5-1 cm diameter
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Lactarius mammosus is a largish agaric that has a grey cap and pale gills and stem and exudes white milk. It grows solitary or in scattered groups on boggy soil under coniferous trees, mainly pine.
Cap convex, later flattening or with a depression, sometimes with a fiat to pointed umbo, margin at first somewhat inrolled; brownish, vinaceous-grey to umber or hazel, sometimes with one or more concentric bands; moderately thick, firm, surface dry, of feathery, adpressed fibres breaking into small, low, fibrous scales. Gills adnate to slightly decurrent, crowded; rosy buff, later darker with an orange tinge. Milk white; taste mild, then hot or very hot, with the smell of coconut.Spores Spore print cream. Flesh whitish to buff. Stem whitish or tinged with the cap colour, bruising pale cinnamon-brown. It has no ring.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.