Your resource for fungi information
Lactarius trivialis   (Slimy Lead Lactarius)
Cap 6-15 cm diameter, stem 6-12 cm tall * 1-2 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Lactarius trivialis, also known as the Slimy Lead Lactarius, is an agaric that has a large fleshy cap that is often spotted or faintly concentrically zoned. It has pale gills and stem, exudes white milk, and grows solitary or in scattered groups on boggy soil under coniferous trees and birches. The fungus is most commonly found in Scandinavia.

Cap smooth, greasy, later depressed in the centre, initially purplish violet with darker zones, and later changing to brownish grey or pinkish beige. The flesh is whitish, thick, and brittle. Gills pale cream, crowded and slightly decurrent. Stem may be quite long, pallid with a tint of cap colour and later often hollow. It has no ring. Spore print pale yellow or cream coloured.

Microscopic Features: The spores are hyaline, roughly spherical or elliptical in shape, smooth or with small warts, and are typically ornamented. They have a length of 8.5-10.5 µm and a width of 7-8.5 µm.

Similar species include Lactarius argillaceifolius, which grows in eastern North America under oaks and has gills that stain and age to a brown colour.

Lactarius trivialis on Wikipedia.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.