MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Marasmius oreades   (Fairy Ring Marasmius)
Family
Marasmiaceae
Location
North America, Europe, East Asia
Dimensions
Cap 2-5 cm diameter, stem 2-10 cm tall * 0.3-0.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Marasmius oreades, also known as Fairy Ring Marasmius, is a small agaric which is producing characteristic rings in lawns. It has a bell-shaped to convex cap, which becomes flatter with a broad umbo with age. The mushroom belongs to the family Marasmiaceae which contains about 500 species of agarics.

Cap at first convex, then flat to cup-shaped with a low central hump that is often a darker shade. The Colour varies from light beige to brown yellow. The margins are usually crinkled and almost transparent and streaky in damp weather. They turn lighter in dry weather and regain their colour in more humid conditions. The flesh is whitish buff, thick at the center, otherwise thin. Gills free, sparse, and convex in the center with horizontal ridges. Creamy white at first, becoming ochraceous cream, fairly broad and distant. Spores off-white. Stem tall, coloured as the cap, smooth or finely scurfy, slender, more or less equal, whitish downy at the base and slightly rooting, stiff. The mushroom has no ring.

Marasmius oreades on the First Nature Web site.
Marasmius oreades on the mykoweb.com Web site.
Marasmius oreades on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.