MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Omphalotus illudens   (Eastern jack-o'lantern)
Family
Marasmiaceae
Location
North America and Europe
Dimensions
Cap 8-12 cm diameter, stem 4-14 cm tall * 1-2.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Omphalotus illudens, commonly known as the eastern jack-o'lantern mushroom, is a large, orange mushroom, with strongly decurrent gills, that is often found in clumps on decaying stumps, buried roots or at the base of hardwood trees. The mushroom is frequently confused with chanterelles.

Cap convex to flat, often with a low, central, pointed knob and an incurved margin which is soon becoming depressed on disc centre and inner limb. The surface is smooth to fibrillose and bright orange to orange-yellow. The flesh is firm, thin and yellow. Gills strongly decurrent (running down the stem), narrow to moderately broad, close and bright orange to pale orange coloured. The gills are luminescent when fresh. Stem cylindric or tapered to base. The surface is dry, smooth to minutely downy or somewhat scaly in age. The stem has no ring. Spore print creamy white.

Microscopic Features: The spores are ellipsoidal to globose in shape, smooth, and measure approximately 3.5-5┬Ám in both length and width.

Omphalotus illudens on the First Nature Web site.
Omphalotus illudens on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
Omphalotus illudens on Wikipedia.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.