MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Paxillus involutus   (Poison Pax)
Family
Paxillaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 5-12 cm diameter, stem 3-7 cm tall * 0.8-1.2 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Paxillus involutus, also known as Poison Pax, is a medium to large agaric with a strongly inrolled, yellow- to red-brown cap and crowded, decurrent gills extended down on the firm stem. The mushroom grows solitary or in trooping groups on soil in leaf woods.

Cap initially convex then more funnel-shaped with a depressed centre and rolled rim, may be reddish-, yellowish- or olive-brown in colour. The surface is initially downy and later smooth, becoming sticky when wet. Gills brownish yellow, narrow, decurrent and forked, and can be peeled easily from the flesh. They further down toward the stem become more irregular and anastomose. Stem is similarly coloured as the cap, however bruising darker brown. It is smooth, equal or tapering downwards. The mushroom has no ring.

Similar species Paxillus filamentous has a less incurved margin, yellow flesh, and occurs under alder.

Paxillus involutus on the First Nature Web site.
Paxillus involutus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.