MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Pholiota squarrosa   (Dry Scaly Pholiota)
Family
Strophariaceae
Location
North America, Europe
Dimensions
Cap 3-12 cm diameter, stem 5-12 cm tall * 1-1.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Pholiota squarrosa, also known as Dry Scaly Pholiota, has a yellowish-brown large hat that is covered with brown scales. The gills are light yellow to brown. The foot is the same colour as the hat and protruding scales. The mushroom grows in small or large clumps on hardwood, often at the base of live or dead hardwoods.

Cap first bell-shaped to rounded and later somewhat flattened, yellowish-brown to tawny in older specimens. The scales on the cap are yellowish to tawny and recurved. Flesh pallid yellow and firm. Gills are covered by a partial veil when young and have a greenish-brown colour; mature gills are rusty brown and crowded closely together, attached to the stem (adnate), and usually notched (sinuate). Spores are brown. Stem coloured as cap above, becoming tinged rust towards the base, more or less equal or tapering downwards, scaly as the cap. The ring is ragged and almost zone-like.

Pholiota squarrosa on the Nature First Web site.
Pholiota squarrosa on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many of the most common mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.