MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Pleurotus ostreatus   (Oyster mushroom)
Family
Pleurotaceae
Location
Europe, North America and Asia
Dimensions
Cap 3-14 cm diameter, stem 2-3 cm tall * 1-1.5 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Pleurotus ostreatus, also known as the Oyster mushroom, is a medium to large fungus named for its shape rather than its taste. It grows almost all over the world and is fairly easily recognized by the way it grows on wood in shelf-like clusters and its whitish gills that run down a stubby, nearly-absent stem.

Cap convex with an incurved margin at first, expanding to a fan-shaped with a flat or shallowly depressed disc and inner limb. The cap colour is pale to dark brown, fading to buff, sometimes fading slowly and becoming two-toned. It may be somewhat greasy when young and fresh. The flesh is thick, white and unchanging when sliced. Gills running down the stem, crowded, whitish or with a grey tinge, becoming yellowish in age and sometimes developing brownish edges, and descend on the stalk if present. Stem off-centre with a lateral attachment to wood, whitish. It can sometimes be more or less central when growing on the tops of logs or branches. Spore print white to faintly yellowish, or pale lilac-grey.

Microscopic Features: The spores are subcylindrical to narrowly kidney-shaped, smooth, measuring 8-12.5 x 3-4.5┬Ám.

Pleurotus ostreatus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
Pleurotus ostreatus on the www.first-nature.com web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.