North America, Europe
Cap 5-20 cm diameter, stemp 2-8 cm tall * 1-4 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
This large species has a grey to dark-brown hat with a depressed center, and sturdy stem. The hat becomes red when it is injured but then turns blackish-grey. The crumbly but firm flesh is off-white when cut, slowly turning red and then black. Its gills have a very sharp taste. The mushroom grows under various deciduous and coniferous trees.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very hard to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. We recommend, because of this, that you don't eat wild mushrooms at all, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of the mushrooms listed here.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions and should not be relied upon and be used as any basis for eating any plants or mushrooms.