Your resource for fungi information
Russula adusta   (Winecork Brittlegill)
Cap 5-15 cm diameter, stemp 3-8 cm tall * 2-4 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Russula adusta, also known as the Winecork Brittlegill, is a medium to large mushroom with light brown caps that feature a deep central depression, and a slightly viscid or slimy surface when wet. The mushroom typically fruits singly or in small scattered groups, but it is not easily seen due to usually being under thick leaf litter, where it remains well camouflaged.

Cap initially convex with a turned edge, later becoming convex-spread, concave-spread with a deep central depression. It is smooth, dry, matte, and somewhat sticky when wet, changing from whitish to various shades of brown, yellow-brown and black-brown. Gills slightly decurrent, cream-coloured and thick. Stem white, cylindrical or club-shaped, smooth or slightly vertically wrinkled, dense. It has no ring or volva. Spore print white.

Microscopic Features: Spores measure 6.5 to 8.5 microns in length and 5.5 to 7.5 microns in width, displaying an elliptical shape with subtle ornamentation.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.