MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Sarcodon squamosus   (Scaly Tooth)
Family
Bankeraceae
Location
Europe
Dimensions
Cap 10-25 cm diameter, stem 4-7 cm tall * 2-4 cm thick
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Sarcodon squamosus, also known as Scaly Tooth, is a large mushroom that has a coarsely scaly, pale brown cap with dark greyish, spiny under-surface. It grows particularly with pines, solitary or in scattered groups, on the soil in coniferous woods.

Cap pale brown, decorated with coarse darker grey scales, erect at the centre, more flattened towards the incurved margin, arranged in concentric rows. It is at first shallowly convex, then flattened or slightly depressed at the centre. It is at first whitish, becoming grey, remaining pallid at the base, equal or somewhat clavate towards the base, downy. Flesh white, thick in the cap centre and firm. Spines 4 to 10mm long, decurrent, white or pale buff, turning purple-brown with age. Stem white, becoming brown at maturity and centrally positioned. The stem flesh is white throughout. Spore print brown.

Microscopic Features: Spores are irregularly spherical or sub-globose, measuring 6.5-8 x 5-6┬Ám, ornamented with prominent warts.

Sarcodon squamosus on the www.first-nature.com web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.