This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Strobilurus stephanocystis, also known as Pine Cone Cap is a small agaric with a tawny-brown cap and whitish gills that grows solitary or in small groups, attached to buried or partly buried pine cones.
brown or tawny; at first convex, becoming flattened, smooth. The edge of the cap, is sometimes lighter than its centre. The cap flesh is white and thin. Gills
whitish cream, adnexed and crowded. Stem
pallid and coloured as the cap, finely silky-pruinose, tapering slightly upwards, typically deeply rooting. The mushroom has no ring. The flesh is white, fragile and hollow. Spore print
The spores are smooth, ellipsoidal, non-amyloid, and lack droplets. They have a size of 6 to 10 µmin length and 3 to 4 µm in width.
include Strobilurus esculentus
which favor spruce cones.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.
Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.