This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Suillus americanus, also known as American slippery Jack, is a small- to medium-sized bolete with a slimy, bright yellow cap. The mushroom grows singly or in clusters on soil in association with pines, particularly eastern white pine.
broadly convex with a small umbo (a central elevation) to flat with age. The margin has a soft cottony, yellowish veil material which leaves brownish patches as it dries. The colour is bright yellow with red or brownish streaks and hairy patches. When the fruit body is young and moist, the surface is slimy. Pores
angular (slightly wider than long) and yellow. Stem
cylindric, more and less equal, though, slender, often bent. Occasionally with a ring or ring zone, but usually bare. The colour is yellow and it is often dotted with brown spots. Spore print
light brown to brownish orange.
Spores measure 8–10.5 x 3–4 µm, having a boletoid-fusiform shape, smooth surface, and appearing hyaline to yellowish in KOH.
on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.
Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.
Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.
Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.