Your resource for fungi information
Suillus variegatus   (Variegated Bolete)
Europe, (North America)
Cap 6-13 cm diameter, stem 5-9 cm tall * 1.5-2 cm thick
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Suillus variegatus, also known as the variegated bolete or velvet bolete is a tall-stemmed and fleshy bolete that rarely exhibits the sliminess that is characteristic of the genus suillus. It typically grows in coniferous forests, often forming symbiotic mycorrhizal relationships with the roots of pine trees (Pinus spp.) and occasionally with other coniferous trees like spruce (Picea spp.) and fir (Abies spp.).

Cap sandy to rusty brown coloured. At first ovate and then convex. The skin can be removed. It has a freckly, downy surface in dry weather. The flesh is pallid ochraceous and turns blue when cut and thumbed. Pores at first ochraceous with olivaceous tinge, becoming more cinnamon-brown with age, sometimes bluish where bruised. Tubes are dark ochraceous or buff, adnate. Stem smooth and firm. Mottled yellow to a brown-yellow and thicker at the base. The stem has no ring. Spore print ochre or sienna-brown.

Microscopic Features: The spores are elongated and smooth, measuring 8-11μm in length and 3-4μm in width.

Note: Suillus tomentosus in North America is virtually identical to the European species Suillus variegatus but has glandular dots on the stem.

Suillus variegatus on the Web site.
Suillus tomentosus on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.