Your resource for fungi information
Turbinellus floccosus   (Scaly Chanterelle)
North America, Asia
5-15 cm diameter * 8-15 cm tall
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Turbinellus floccosus, also known as the Scaly Chanterelle, has an orange-capped, vase- or trumpet-shaped fruiting body. The lower surface, known as the hymenium, is covered in wrinkles and ridges rather than gills or pores, and it is pale buff, yellowish, or whitish in colour. The mushroom grows mycorrhizal with conifers, including pines, spruces, firs, and hemlocks. It can be found growing alone, scattered, or gregariously.

Fruiting body initially cylindrical, maturing to trumpet- or vase-shaped. There is no clear demarcation between the cap and stipe. The stripe it is solid in younger specimens, though is often hollowed out by insect larvae in older ones. At higher elevations, two or three fruit bodies may arise from one stipe. Coloured with various shades of reddish- to yellowish-orange, the cap surface is broken into scales, with the spaces between more yellow and the scales themselves more orange. The white flesh is fibrous and thick, though thins with age. Somewhat brittle, it can sometimes turn brown when cut or bruised. Spore print yellowish to pale buff.

Microscopic Features: Spores measure 11–16 x 5.5–7 µm and are ellipsoid in shape, with a snout-like apical end; they have a finely verrucose surface and appear hyaline to ochraceous in potassium hydroxide (KOH) solution; they are inamyloid.

Turbinellus floccosus on the MushroomExpert.Com web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.

Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.