MUSHROOM WORLD
www.mushroom.world
Your resource for fungi information
Xerocomellus chrysenteron   (Red cracking bolete)
Family
Boletaceae
Location
North America and Europe
Dimensions
Cap 4-10 cm diameter, stem 4-10 cm tall * 1-2 cm diameter
Edibility
This site contains no information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Description
Xerocomellus chrysenteron, also known as Boletus chrysenteron or Red cracking bolete, is one of the smaller less fleshy boletes. It has a convex, red-brown cap, with skin that tends to crack, revealing a red layer. The mushroom grows with deciduous trees on well-drained, humus-rich soil.

Cap convex, becoming broadly convex or almost flat, red-brown, often with red edge. The surface is often cracked showing a red underlayer. Pores pale yellow at first, later yellow to olive and stain slightly blue when cut or bruised. Stem constant in diameter throughout its length, sometimes tapering to pinched base, solid, upper part yellow, lower part pinkish-reddish. The base is purplish-red. The basal mycelium is white to yellowish. The stem has no ring. Spore print olivaceous brown.

Microscopic Features: Spores are elongated and smooth, measuring 12-16.5 x 4.5-7┬Ám.

Xerocomellus chrysenteron on the www.first-nature.com web site.
Xerocomellus chrysenteron on the MushroomExpert.Com Web site.

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous. It can be very difficult to distinguish between an edible and a poisonous mushroom. Because of that, we recommend that you never eat wild mushrooms, and this site does not contain any information about the edibility or toxicity of mushrooms.

Although efforts have been made to ensure accuracy on this website, the information may contain errors and omissions. Therefore, the information presented here is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon as any basis for consuming any plants or mushrooms.

Links to external websites that provide information about mushrooms are included for reference purposes only. We do not endorse, or assume responsibility for the information, content, or recommendations provided on these external sites.




Cookie notice

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising, as well as to analyze traffic.

Learn more about cookies


DISCLAIMER

Many mushrooms are poisonous and some are lethally poisonous and this website cannot and will not tell you whether the mushrooms you find are safe.

In viewing the material on this website you agree that Mushroom World and its owner have no liability for injury, illness or death caused by eating wild plants or mushrooms after viewing this site.

If you continue, you agree to view this website under these terms.